After I had fitted the new gearbox and engine back into
the car I had run the car, to ensure everything still worked
ok. It was also an excuse to hear the car run again, as
it had been nearly 3 months since I had heard the carbs
bark. Importantly I could select all the gears and that
they actually made the car move about always helps.
My plan from here was to strip the car back to the point
where I could fit the injection but retain the standard
cylinder head and cams. I would then get the car running
on the new ECU and learn how to make adjustments, etc. My
reasoning for this was that I wanted the car to start and
run quickly after fitting the new cams. It is important
to be able to run the engine at a few thousand rpm and not
let it idle to bed the cams in properly. For this reason,
I left the exhaust and standard head in place for the time
The inlet manifold was removed as it had never been touched.
The ports were a close match to the carbs, but the new throttle
bodies had a larger opening and the airflow would have hit
quite a lip. I therefore had to port the manifold to match,
and while I was at it I could open it up a bit to allow
the air to turn better before it heads down into the head.
The starting point was to place a paper template on the
throttle body and mark the outline of the ports. I used
the mounting locations as reference and placed the template
on the manifold and marked the required outline. The same
thing was done for the cylinder head side. I used some 25mm
flap wheels in the power drill which just gave me enough
reach and had the benefit of not doing too much damage.
It was a painfully slow job which created a vast amount
dust but the end result would give the mixture a much smoother
and less restricted path into the engine.