When I bit the bullet and changed to cycle
wings and changed the colour scheme of my car, I had
my original rear wings painted. They were still in very
good condition and I was on a budget. The only problem I
had was the stone guards had indeed done their job and sacrificed
themselves in the name of the fiberglass.
I was faced with the option of fitting my rather stone blasted
heavy guards back on my car, or find an alternative. I quite
liked the idea of using some Motrax
self adhesive matting, but unfortunately the largest size
they do is A3 and this was too narrow. It was then remembered
an e-mail conversation I had had with Ammo
when buying a second hand Aero Fuel Filler. We had briefly
discussed an idea to produce some titanium stone guards
that would be a bit bigger but a lot lighter! I contacted
Ammo again and if we could get enough people to make it
worth while, he'd produce a small run. I posted up a bulk
buy (something we regularly see in order to achieve some
discount or small production run) on Blatchat
and got some interest. As is always the way, half the people
who were interested melted away, but we just had enough
and the job was done.
Fitting was simple with the wings already
off the car, just a case of marking out and drilling holes
in the guards followed by offering them up to the wing.
As the material is quite thin, I found they were quite bending
and awkward to hold in place, so I ended up riveting as
I went around them. I picked up a small tip which was to
place a small M4 washer behind the guard, over the rivet
and this reduces the material 'squash' as the rivet clamps
up. I moved them up the wing at the time of fitting and
placed a 65mm strip of Motrax Aluminium weave along the
lower edges to further increase their effective height.
I used black rivets to fix them in place,
and I have to say I am very pleased with the end results.
I didn't want a plain bit of material but I also wanted
something lighter than normal. Result. To keep them clean
I use a rag with some WD40 and wipe them down, then dry
off, and they have stayed looking like new all year with
no discernable dents - which is a bonus.